The following provides a brief background and country lead/partnership opportunity for Impact Amplifier’s expansion into Nigeria.
Impact Amplifier (IA) is a South African based advisory firm with offices in Cape Town and Johannesburg, focused on supporting the impact business and investment ecosystem in Southern Africa. Our work includes:
- Impact Business Acceleration: Investment Readiness, Capital Raising, and Post Investment Support;
- Impact Investment: Deal Sourcing, Impact Assessment, Monitoring and Reporting;
- Ethical Supply Chains: Support larger companies to enhance their social and or environmental impact by developing more inclusive supply chains; and
- Entrepreneur, Investment and Ecosystem Research.
IA typically trains up to 100 social enterprises a year, accelerates 30 over a longer period, and works actively across 8-10 grant/investment deals per year. IA supports a blend of catalytic grants, debt, mezzanine finance and equity from a variety of grantors and investors. It currently works in eight SADC countries, with 50% of its capacity development services delivered in South Africa.
Additionally, IA conducts 2-3 impact assessments per year with larger companies that are interested in both understanding their impact, but also changing the way they do business to enhance various social outcomes.
Country Lead/Partnership Opportunity
Impact Amplifier is expanding its operations to multiple other African countries beyond South Africa over the next three to five years. Based on an immediate opportunity, which requires a management presence to implement projects in four West African countries, it has determined that Nigeria is the best place to base its operations.
As such, it is seeking someone to lead its operations in West Africa who can also become a partner in the business there.
The Country Lead, will function as a generalist within the company and managing all operations in West Africa. The role will encompass the following, but is not limited to:
- Manage a grant making fund for social enterprises in four West African countries. This will include:
- Partner development;
- Call for applications;
- Organisation and project vetting/selection;
- Contract management;
- Payment allocations; and
- Grant management – ensuring what has been agreed is delivered.
- This initial project will last 18 months from April 2020.
Business Development and Delivery
The Country Lead, with the support of the Impact Amplifier partners, will be expected to generate and manage new business opportunities including, but not exclusive to the following:
- Social Entrepreneur Acceleration – driving the internal and external investment/ grant readiness and capital raising acceleration process either individually or as a group, including:
- Putting out calls for applications using partner networks, screening applications, shortlisting and, together with the internal or external partners, selecting participants in accelerator programmes.
- Ensuring that the content and curricula for both internal and external programmes and modules are updated with new content, examples and templates as needed.
- Managing milestones around the needs of entrepreneurs and changing workflows, co-ordinating meetings and workshops.
- Overseeing the mentorship process on accelerator programmes to ensure mentors and mentees engage as required, and that all participants in the programme are mentored properly and to deadlines.
- Managing third party engagement: liaising, invoicing, payments, reporting and budget where necessary.
- Developing proposals, together with the Partners, on new workshops, bootcamps, programmes as requested.
- Impact Assessment – management, including:
- Participating in impact assessment project planning;
- Collecting data and analysis thereof;
- Conducting interviews; and
- Drafting reports.
- Impact Economy Research – managing primary and secondary market research activities, including:
- Research of the impact investment ecosystem in any West African to better understand the gaps, opportunities and need for new products and services;
- Market research and due diligence as required to support investment readiness / deals;
- Other research as requested by external organisations and new clients;
- Identifying relevant tenders and submitting proposals; and
- Overseeing research projects.
Impact Amplifier has developed many specific tools to enable the functional work outlined above. This will facilitate the Country Lead’s ability to rapidly learn how to deliver services he/she is not presently familiar with.
Qualification and Skill Set
The following are the skills we are seeking, but not all are a prerequisite for consideration.
- Demonstrated interest in working on impact focused initiatives that contribute towards solving social and/or environmental challenges;
- Entrepreneurial business development support experience;
- Monitoring and evaluation;
- Consulting experience;
- Ability to extract, analyse and synthesise data;
- Project management experience;
- Undergraduate degree (social sciences, business, economics or other relevant subjects);
- Excellent verbal and written communication (English);
- French speaking a bonus;
- Outstanding analytical and problem-solving skills; and
- Proficiency in MS Office and G-Suite.
- Professional maturity
- Emotional intelligence
- Active listening
- Attention to detail
- Able to work independently
Remuneration and Equity
The guaranteed starting salary will be in the range of $40,000 – $45,000 gross / cost to Company per annum. This can be adjusted based on business development over the first year or based on existing business the Country Lead brings into the IA business.
After 12 months, assuming both parties are interested in continuing the relationship, IA will vest the partner into the business, which will be pre-negotiated.
If you are interested in the Impact Amplifier Nigeria Country Lead position, please forward a cover letter and CV to: Busola.ibiyemi@spongegroup.